08 Nov The benefits to changing to LED light bulbs
If you are tired of buying new light bulbs only for them to blow a few months later, then you should really consider investing in LEDs.
In a typical three-bed home, the cost to upgrade CFL light bulbs and incandescent light bulbs with LEDs will be around £150, and although that sounds like a lot, you will earn your money back in your annual electricity bill and benefit from the change in many other ways.
Here are the 10 main benefits to changing to LED light bulbs:
- Longevity – LED bulbs last 10 times longer than your compact fluorescents and 30 times longer than your incandescent light bulbs. This makes them perfect for areas of a property that are tough to access, like attics;
- Durability – LEDs have no filament, so they do not suffer from the same fate as regular light bulbs if dropped, jarred or bumped;
- Cool to the touch – LED light bulbs waste very little energy, and they produce very little heat. So an LED light bulb is safe to touch and it won’t be causing any fires;
- Mercury-free – Mercury is an extremely poisonous substance and it is widely used in the manufacture of fluorescent light bulbs. No mercury is used to manufacture LED light bulbs, so there’s no risk of mercury poisoning at all;
- Cost-effective – It used to be the case that LED light bulbs cost more than regular light bulbs, but this is simply no longer true. GU10 LED bulbs can be picked up for around £3 nowadays while an Osram halogen GU10 costs the same. Furthermore, you won’t need to replace them anywhere near as soon. This will save you money;
- Cheap to run – LED bulbs have an A or A+ efficiency rating meaning they use little electricity. The best incandescent bulbs can only manage a B or C efficiency rating, and so you will earn your money back on your annual electricity bill;
- Strong bright light – Despite being way more efficient than regular light bulbs, LED bulbs offer a strong bright light. In fact, this can be even greater than a normal bulb;
- Endless colours – LED lighting is available in an unlimited range of colours for feature lighting. For example, all the colours of the rainbow are available with a GU10 bulb;
- Endless applications – It isn’t just your lamps and your ceilings where you can upgrade to LED lighting; there’s adhesive LED strips and much more to choose from!
- Environmentally-friendly – Because they last so long and they use so little energy, LEDs are a very environmentally-friendly lighting choice. Think of all the manufacturing emissions and packaging emissions you’ll be doing away with by not having to constantly buy and replace new light bulbs.