The Dangers of Faulty Wiring | BrightLec Electrical | Leeds Based Electrical Contractors
17423
post-template-default,single,single-post,postid-17423,single-format-standard,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-title-hidden,qode-theme-ver-16.8,qode-theme-bridge,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.5.2,vc_responsive

The Dangers of Faulty Wiring

Although many of us rely on electricity to power the modern conveniences that we know and love, it’s also worth remembering that electricity is dangerous. In certain circumstances, the electricity in your home could even be lethal.

Government statistics suggest that electricity causes around 20,000 fires every year, and almost half of all accidental fires in the UK. Every year, about 350,000 people are seriously injured as a result of an electrical accident in the home, and this can all happen because of faulty wiring.

Although modern living means that most of us use more electrical appliances than ever before, that doesn’t mean that we can’t be cautious and take necessary steps to avoid unwanted accidents.

Understanding the Problem of Faulty Wiring

As old houses or electrical systems continue to age, wiring can easily become worn out, causing serious predicaments behind the brickwork that you can’t see until it’s too late. For instance, sometimes the insulation on wires will wear out due to a significant amount of heat generated by overloaded circuits.

It’s important to have your wiring installed and maintained by professionals to ensure that you’re living in a home that is safe, and free from potential fire risks. In some cases, you can even conduct a routine self-inspection at home every now and again to help yourself pinpoint the potential signs of faulty or aging wires.

How to Perform a Self-Inspection

Inspecting your own electricity at home is relatively easy, and something that most homeowners should consider doing on a regular basis – particularly if the apartment or home is exceeding 40 years in age. You can buy an inexpensive outlet tester to plug into your sockets and test whether they have been wired correctly and appropriately grounded.

Testing a light socket is quite easy too. All you need to do is install a lightbulb and see whether it turns on and performs as it should. If the light doesn’t turn on, you’ll need to check the breakers, then assume that there’s something wrong with the circuit or wiring.

Of course, if you’re concerned that there may be an issue and you can’t quite diagnose it for yourself using basic equipment, then the best thing you can do is contact a professional to come and assess the situation for you. Professional electricians have the experience and skill to pinpoint problems before they become too severe, which could potentially save you from the heartache of a sudden electrical fire.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.