10 Nov Can Dead Switches and Sockets be a Sign of Underlying Electrical Issues?
Going to use a light switch or a power socket and finding that it’s no longer functional can be a real pain, but it’s more than mere inconvenience – it can be symptomatic of larger electrical problems hidden beneath the surface.
Of course, whilst not every broken switch or outlet means a serious electrical failure, repeated issues or ones that appear widespread across your business are, indeed, likely indicators of rather sinister electrical goings on.
Some of the classic reasons for dead switches and sockets include incorrect installation not connecting them to your wiring, the circuit being interrupted by another component or even be related to a defective breaker. However, if those issues don’t hold true for you, your dead switches and sockets may relate to the usage of aluminium wiring within your property.
If your building was constructed or last renovated before 1972, there’s a strong change that your building may contain aluminium wiring.
Aluminium wiring was legal at the time, but soon outlawed in installation in new homes, commercial buildings, remodels and renovations after it was linked with conditions which create electrical fires.
Although aluminium wiring is, in and of itself, no more hazardous than copper, its interactions with other metals can create a real danger, as they can become corroded and begin arcing. It’s this arcing which damages switches and sockets, leaving them dead.
Research by the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) found that buildings with aluminium wiring posed a fire risk that was 55 times more likely to suffer from an electrical fire than those with copper wiring. As such, if you’re suffering from regularly broken switches and sockets, it could be a sign of outdated and dangerous aluminium electrical wiring within your property.
Dealing with aluminium wiring is a problem which should only be undertaken by professional electrical installers, so if you’re concerned that your building may be operating with hazardous electrical installation, do not hesitate to get in touch with our team.